POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : An inside/outside test for triangles mesh : Re: An inside/outside test for triangles mesh Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An inside/outside test for triangles mesh
From: Ron Parker
Date: 12 Mar 1999 08:32:26
Message: <36e9176a.0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:08:17 -0500, Carl Bartels
	<cab### [at] bravo436chemmcgillca> wrote:
>Would it be possible to use this to make an inside for a mesh (even an
>open one?)  That way you could test if you are inside the prism of more
>that one triangle and that should be enough to be inside your mesh, at
>least for a simple mesh.  Would have to sit down and scratch my head for
>a bit to see how to treat complicated shapes.  I just think that the
>normals method is a nice way to go.

Consider a mesh of a bowl.  Any point in the part where the Chocolate
Frosted Sugar Bombs go would be considered "inside" by this method, as
would a good number of points in the environment, including some below
the surface of the table (due to the rim of the bowl).

Even convex polyhedra would have problems.  Consider a football (without
seams.)  It's convex, but the intersections of the prisms associated with
triangles near opposite ends are outside the surface of the football.